Monday, March 4, 2013

PRESIDENCY MESSAGE

I have been going through some old journals that I wrote when I was in Middle School. I was very self-absorbed and focused on things going on in my life, as I think most young people are at that age. (I hope I wasn’t the only one)!

A few times I wrote about things I did with my family. One thing that struck me was I wrote that my mother helped me sew a pair of pants. Sewing was not one of her great talents (she did have many others), but she took the time to help me sew a buttonhole on a project I was doing. We worked through the frustration and she helped me finish them.

Aldous Huxley wrote, ”Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted”. The Lord knows this about us. Maybe that is why He mentions gratitude in so many scriptures. In Doctrine and Covenants 59:21 the Lord says: “ And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.” He asks that we obey his commandments and thank Him for all of our blessings. When we take time to think, we all have so many blessings, big and small, that we can thank God for every day.

William Davies said, ”I remember those happy days, and often wish I could speak into the ears of the dead the gratitude which was due them in life, and so ill returned.” My mother passed away when I was 26 years old. I have some of those regrets and wish I could express to her my gratitude for all she did for me. As I have pondered gratitude, I think she would be happy to see me ‘pay it forward’ now with my family and my callings and friends.

I challenge all of us to express gratitude to others and especially to our Heavenly Father for all the great things and relationships we enjoy. I hope we can be more like Alma and ‘Live in Thanksgiving daily’ (Alma 34:38).

With Thanks to all of you.
Holly M.