Sunday, September 2, 2012

Monthly News

From your Presidency

When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all
I'm on your side

When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

Sail on Silver Girl, Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind


Sisters as I just listened to a wonderful Women’s Conference and thought about the theme of each talk, they all seemed to come together in the words to the song “Like a Bridge over Troubled Water.”  As you read these words and contemplate the struggles you are given each day until you fall on your knees at night weary from the weight, remember these few truths. You are a cherished Daughter of God. He has not forgotten you. Your Savior has laid himself down through His atoning Sacrifice to take upon himself all your trials, sorrows, and mistakes if you will but hand them over to Him. 
We as sisters also have each other. Relief Society was absolutely organized through inspiration, put here to hold up our sisters when the floodwaters get dangerously high. I have often turned to a lifelong friend of 30 or more years that I first met in Relief Society while at BYU. We are not alone. President Eyring spoke about the Good Samaritan. And I realized how we as Sisters are often given that opportunity through our many acts of Compassionate Service. But there are times when we need to be served instead of being the caregiver. Sisters, we see your tender hearts and know how you intuitively seek to care for others. But we implore you to take your trials to the Lord and let Him lift you up. And let your sisters in Relief Society be your friends. We know many of you can’t physically come to Relief Society on Sundays due to your callings. And others of you leave after Sacrament meeting for other reasons. And then we know many of you have not been out to church in a while. We, as a Relief Society Presidency, miss you and we pray you will turn your hearts to the Lord. Let Him lift you “like a bridge over troubled water” and heal you as only He can. 
Wherever you are in your personal journeys, we hope you will come to our Relief Society “Sisters’ Night Out” every other month and build those friendships so that 30 years from now it will be you calling a lifelong friend you met one day or one evening in a Relief Society meeting.

-Martha Hall
Perry Ward Relief Society Counselor